Re: [OT] Is Samba client not following the protocol?

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 00:28 +0800, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> I agree with you in situations  where network is big (with servers and
> domain controllers), this kind of thing cannot be relied upon but I am
> in the scene of home network/SOHO where I don't want to go through
> lots of trouble using domain controller etc. In this case a simple
> hidden folder does the trick in most cases. I am just disappointed
> that if somebody with linux connect to my network, he can see all the
> shares which he doesn't even need to know. This extra info is the way
> to evil. Of course, when you see something you're not expecting,
> naturally you will be curious.

It's only left out of the way, not really hidden.  Windows even has
graphical tools to show you this stuff.  It seems, to me, that you're
coming into this with a false expectation.

Anyway, what's more important is whether, or not, you can access
anything through those shares.  Not whether it's possible to just see
that they're present.

I've seen a school that foolishly thought that simply hiding the C:\
drive from view protected it from being messed with.  It does not.  You
have to take other steps to protect something.  And when you've done so,
and done so properly, it doesn't matter if people can see that there's
something there.

> By the way I am sorry for blaming it particularly to smbclient but
> Nautilus does the same and KDE network browser does the same too. I
> think it has something to do with the samba itself.

I can't say that I've noticed part of that before (Windows drive shares
turning up), and I don't have anything set up at the moment to test
against, other than a Samba server running on FC4, I have no Windows
boxes to hand.  A quick test, now, with Samba served out through FC4,
shows things like a folder named something$ put into a shared resource
aren't hidden in the Nautilus file explorer.

There are options in the Samba config file for what matches are used to
indicate hidden files (see man smb.conf, and search through it for the
keyword:  hidden).  There's a performance penalty for making use of
them, though.  This is a case of setting what a Samba server serves out
as "to be hidden".  This is just a status flag, it's still up to the
client to not display them.

Have you turned off the "hide hidden files" features in your file
browsers?  On the client side of things, you need to hide hidden files,
if you want them hidden.

And in what way are you seeing it in Nautilus, for example?  Are you
browsing smb://hostname/sharename?  Are you seeing it in shares that
you've mounted somewhere onto the filesystem tree?

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.