Re: Fedora, IDE and RAID

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 15:03 +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> I'm just about to set up  a Fedora box with 3 320GB HDDs and I want to set up
> software RAID. Anyone got any good pointers on links on how to do this?

Assuming this is a new install, you can use the installer to do this.
Choose the "custom partitioning scheme" option, and set up RAID (or,
even better, LVM on top of RAID).

A couple of pointers:

1) You'll have to create a RAID1 device for /boot, since you can't boot
to a software RAID5 device (or an LVM device).

2) I'd go the LVM on top of RAID route so you can use LVM snapshots to
back things up. Also, you'll have the option of moving storage around
between logical volumes.

Really, it's pretty straight-forward if you use the installer. There are
respective buttons in the disk configuration wizard, if you click them
they will step you through your options.

- Ben