Re: uucp

On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 01:14:40PM -0500, fred smith wrote:

> I used it myself up until around four years ago for mail and news
> transfer via PPP on 56k dialup.
>
> While serial stuff is a pain in the rear, UUCP is nevertheless a great
> tool: you submit your job and it "just goes", once properly configured
> (and assuming bit-rot doesn't occur).

FWIW, I found UUCP to be a very simple and robust way to deliver mail
to a laptop.  This had a number of advantages for me (most of them
minor) versus using POP or IMAP.  Of course I used SSH as a transport
rather than a tty.

In the process of learning how to do that, I built a repect for that
old warhorse technology.  I think it can serve a number of purposes
that I had to re-invent during past lives as a system administrator,
and I'm sure it is a great tool for any application requiring the
use of slow "dial-up" links (including intermittent wifi or other
radio connections).

I'll be happy to discuss more off-line if anyone is curious...

John
--
John W. Linville
linville@xxxxxxxxxx