Re: uucp

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>> But do you need to use a serial port for uucp
>> if you are not using a serial modem,
>> which I take it very few people on this list would be doing?
>>
>> Do people normally use serial ports today?
>>
>> Even if you are using a serial modem,
>> I'm not entirely clear why you need to have access to ttyS?
>> In my case, at least, uucp runs as a cron job
>> and conveys my email to /var/spool/mail/<whoever>.
>>
> The thing I think you are missing is this has nothing to do with
> uucp the program. It is just that the default group ownership of
> serial ports is uucp.

I see I misunderstood Karl's question. (I often do.)
I understood that he wanted to use ttyS0 _for_ uucp.
Admittedly this seems unlikely, but on the other hand
I find it reasonably plausible that Karl and I
are the last two people in the world using uucp.

> Now, if you need to use the serial port for
> anythings as a user, be it dialing into some site with a modem, or
> talking to another system, router, pint server, etc over a serial
> port, you need access to the serial port. (Making a PPP connection
> over dialup is a different case.)
>
> In my case, I use serial ports to connect to an old Plam III that I
> keep around, a DMM that will send data over a serial link, a data
> capture board with a RS-232 interface, a print server with a serial
> control port, and HPC over a null modem cable. I sometimes connect
> to other things as well. There are a few other things I connect to
> from time to time, but this should give you an idea.

That reminds me.
I used to use my serial port to connect to a geiger counter.
I must try to find out where that has gone ...

I must say, I always hated serial ports,
with endless nonsense about the speed,
and whether they were using 7- or 8-bits.
SLIP was a nightmare, even worse than WiFi.

Although I am in general against progress, this is one exception.