Re: F8: problem with dial-up

Karl:
It would be of help to know what kind of computer and which Modem? I
hope the Modem is a serial port type.

Why would the kind of computer matter for this? It's an IBM Aptiva (a tower). The modem is a Diamond (I think SupraExpress) V.90 ? (just below a V.92), serial.

Antonio:
Could you try to use wvdial to dialout?

It'll be Christmas till I get to that machine again.

/etc/wvdial.conf looks like this:
[snip]
Then add your username/password and be set.

I have to create that file (with an editor) - yes?

Ric:
If you're running KDE kppp works great.

I'm a gnomite.  :)

I use it all the time. Keep in
mind that your init string is the single most important line to edit
properly.

hmmm ... I was wondering if I need to put something in there (it's blank). In troubleshooting, I tried 'at', but that gave an error.