Re: Can Java just shoot me?

Chris G wrote:
On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 09:49:33AM -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:
Chris G wrote:
[snip me not liking Java and you saying it's the way to do something]

OK, you have a case where Java is useful/necessary, that doesn't mean
that *many* (or even most) uses of Java in web applications are good
and necessary.

Fundamentally I don't think we disagree!  :-)
I disagree. Usable java is the way out of monopoly control of web browsers (and hardware as well). It's unfortunate that alternative operating systems haven't worked to provide it.
But Java doesn't have very much to do with 99% of what a browser shows
you.

Of course not - how can anyone depend on a client having a compatible version to display it? If every OS, including those on phones, game consoles, and similar devices, supplied a working jvm, it would be used for all sorts of things that aren't portable now.

> It's just a way of running client side applications.  At least
that's what the Java plugin (which is what provoked this whole thread)
is for.

Think of that as anything that isn't a static html page...

How will Java be "the way out of monopoly control of web browsers"?
It's the people who write an maintain Firefox and other 'freeware'
browsers who are doing that surely.

They have to do it because they can't count on java applets working.

Using Java as a general purpose programming language is a whole
different ball game, it's something I'm involved in where I work but
it has nothing whatever to do with browsers or the web.

And you have no interest in remote execution without being locked into specific hardware or operating systems?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx