Re: Fedora 8, mplayer, radeon 9250, and "fullscreen" mode

* Amadeus W.M. (amadeus84@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:47:03 -0600, Jeff Krebs wrote:
>
> > I've installed Fedora 8 with few, if any, issues.  However, I am
> > experiencing a problem with mplayer (from FreshRPMs): when in fullscreen
> > mode, it only displays around 3/4rs to 7/8ths the size of the actual
> > full screen.  The black borders or video image don't extend fully to the
> > right or bottom; the display is shoved in the upper left corner at 0,0.
> > My setup is:
> >
> > - Pentium 4, 1.6gz
> > - ATI Radeon 9250 AGP card
> > - Using the "radeon" driver from xorg - Acer AL1916W LCD monitor,
> > 1440x900 resolution
> >
> > Mplayer worked splendidly under Fedora 7.  My xorg.conf file is the
> > EXACT same one I used under Fedora 7.  My mplayer prefs are the same as
> > well (the "monitoraspect" is set to 16:10).  I use the xv mplayer driver
> > and have libdrm and mesa-libGL installed.  Even though the display isn't
> > fullscreen, it still retains the correct aspect ratio.
> >
> > This issue happens with and without gdm (I set the "runlevel" to 3 under
> > initab, and performed a manual "startx" with the same output result).
> >
> > This problem occurs under both the AfterStep and twm window managers.
> >
> > I've been very happy with the Xorg radeon driver, at least under Fedora
> > 7, and really have no interest in installing the proprietary drivers if
> > I don't have to.
> >
> > Can anyone repeat this issue?
> >
> > I did notice that Steve (zephod@xxxxxxxxxx) had a prior post
> >
> > "Problem with screen resolution in F8"
> >
> > where he was experiencing a 2/3 screen with a Radeon card and LCD.
> > Things sounded eerily familiar.
> >
> > What can I do?
> >
> > Jeff
>
> I see similar behavior. Videos that I was able to play full screen I'm no
> longer able to. When in fs mode the whole screen is black and the video
> plays in the center at the exact same size as the non-full screen video.
> I have an onboard intel 845G chip.
>

> --

My screen is scaling-up from the "normal" mode, it just falls short of
fullscreen.

I experienced similar problems until getting the xv driver working.

As stated, I needed to install libdri and mesa-libGL.

I also needed to add the following lines to my xorg.conf:

Section "Module"
        Load "dri"
        Load "drm"
        Load "extmod"