Re: Fedora 8: Where is the rescuecd.iso ??

William Case wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 21:38 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> In any case, you can loop mount the DVD .iso image, and grab
>> the diskboot.img and install after booting from that.
>>
> If you have the time to explain, what do you mean by "loop mount" the
> DVD.iso image?  What is a loop back device?  fdisk, dd or what??

You can mount an CD/DVD image just like it was a hard disk partition
using the loop device. You can then access the contents of the
CD/DVD as if it were in the CDROM/DVD drive.

While not entirely correct, you can think of the loop device as a
bridge between the operating system and the image file. It will let
you mount images of a floppy, or CD/DVD or hard disk partition. It
should be possible to mount one partition of an entire hard drive
image using on offset into the image, but I have not tried that.

If you are interested, there is more information on using the loop
device at the end of the mount man page, and the losetup man page.
The most common way to use it is something like:

mount -o loop dvd.iso /mnt/iso

where dvd.iso is the DVD image file and /mnt/iso is a directory
create in /mnt to mount iso images on. You can use any directory as
your mount point. I use a mount point of /var/www/html/Fedora so
that I can serve out the contents of the DVD image on my local network.

Mikkel