Re: wpa_supplicant update on f7 broken with the b43 driver

Mike Leahy <mgleahy <at> alumni.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> I had some trouble connecting via wireless on my F7-x86_64 setup after I
> had run updates, which included wpa_supplicant version 1:0.5.7-4.fc7.
> It took a while to narrow down the problem.  I could use commandline
> tools to connect to unprotected routers without using wpa_supplicant,
> and ultimately I noticed this if I restarted the wpa_supplicant service:
>
> Stopping wpa_supplicant:                                   [  OK  ]
> Starting wpa_supplicant: /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf,
> -iwlan0, -DwextSIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
> Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
> ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
> WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
> WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 -                              [  OK  ]

I have been tinkering with wireless for some time both in F7 and F8.

Although I have not used the b43 driver I have been playing with the
iwl3945 and the rt2x00 drivers which now both work extremely well
in F8 with the most recent kernel 2.6.23.8-62.fc8

However there are some general points that are worth chccking when
setting up wpa_supplicant and wireless especially with interfaces that
are not the usual eth1. I usually check what is going on with the commands
ifconfig
and
iwconfig
But also sometimes I have had odd messages when starting wpa_supplicant
but the supplicant sometimes still runs despite the errors. In addition
it is worth checking that the firewall does not block packets through
the interface (turning it off temporarily is a good check).

Although I am not commenting specifically on the b43 driver the general
checks are useful - I have been using different machines running ipw2200,
iwl3945, rt2x00 and madwifi/ath5k - the first two are now running in a stable
fashion in f8,  rt2x00 works for me with a usb wireless dongle in the latest
f8 test kernel, and I have problems with madwifi and certainly with ath5k.

I hope this helps even if only a little!