Re: Ethernet card won't take dcH Inititalization

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 12:50 -0600, Bryan A Zimmer wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a computer with Comcast.net as my ISP. My Ethernet cable goes
> from the network interface to the cable modem.
>
> I have another computer with the same setup and DHCP is no problem.
>
> On the problem computer, the card does not acquire an Ethernet
> address, and I don't know enough about DHCP in Linux to configure the
> client software or configure the Ethernet card.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction? The non-working computer
> is a standard x86_64 machine with a RealTek "8139too". I compared the
> scripts and configuration I could find, but got nowhere.
>
> The giveaway is theat the "PCLiNK" on the modem does not illuminate
> (meaning there is no signal from the ethernet card to the cable
> modem).
>
> The thing is, in WindowsXP, this same computer works fine,
> --

So you connecting your cable modem directly to a computer without
running it through a switch or router?

Cable modems generally are allowed only to talk with one MAC address and
thus only one MAC address can get a DHCP ip address from the cable modem
network.  So get your setup to work, you need to reset the cable modem
every time you change what it is connecting to it.

What you really should do is go buy a router and plug that into the
cable modem.  As that way you could have both systems online at the same
time then and the cable modem just talks to the router and the router
generally just has a limit of like ~250 computers being attached to it.

--
Adam Hough