Re: F8 and Staroffice8

Christopher A. Williams wrote:
I think the appropriate thing to do is to temporarily roll the X libs in
question in F8 back to the F7 versions (or their equivalents) until the
X and Java guys work out their own differences.

With the best will in the world this isn't going to happen, and personally I don't think it should.

Fedora includes IcedTea which is to all intents and purposes the Sun JRE (v1.7). It's been compiled to work with the X libs on F8 and works just fine.

X has moved on and keeping an old version around to satisfy dependencies in non fedora software isn't going to enourage those packages to get fixed up for the new version. The fix is fairly straight forward and Sun will almost certainly have updated packages out soon which reflect this. For any other software the authors just need to apply the simple patch to the specific JRE they distribute.

These kinds of breakages seem to happen with some component in every Fedora release (with F7 it was python and zope I seem to remember). Fedora is specifically pitched as having the latest upstream versions of everything and whilst this may cause temporary inconvenience it does help to move things forward.

If you can't live with the new X libs yet then stay on F7 until this is all sorted out.

Simon.

PS Hopefully the inclusion of a free JRE in the core distribution will put an end to the inclusion of a program specific JRE alongside java programs in linux. That always seemed a really hacky way to make your programs work.