Re: F8 and Staroffice8

Simon Andrews <simon.andrews <at> bbsrc.ac.uk> writes:

> It's a problem with a change the X libraries in F8.  The Sun java hasn't
> caught up yet.  Using IcedTea from F8 should have been OK though - are
> you sure the installer is using the system JRE and doesn't include its own?
>
> There is a discussion and a work round for this problem at:
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=171763

This is a problem with a number of commercial packages which include java
within their distribution - and this includes Maple and Matlab.

I had a note from the Maple people and quoting:
"Actually this bug applies to more then just Fedora 8. Anyone who has a
Linux distribution with an updated X11 library included in it can
encounter this problem. We did a little checking on this bug a while ago
and we're not sure who's responsible for this; either the X11 people are
or the Java people are. They know what causes the bug but they don't
know how to fix it.

Basically X11 is being very strict with some of the checking they do
before they'll do anything with the display and Java isn't being strict
enough. Sun says it's not their problem and that it's fixed."

If you are using the sed edit workaround it is important to find all the
files that need changing and not necessarily two files. There are other
workarounds that have been suggested but it seems not all work for all
people.