Can Java just shoot me?

So, I have to access a web page that only works if I have
Sun's java plugin (yes, I've tried icedtea).

I've looked at all the instructions
I could find for getting java on Fedora, and they all
start with some simple little tossed off phrase like
"Get the rpm from java.sun.com".

Has anyone ever visited java.sun.com? Its a freaking
nightmare! I thought Microsoft's jargon was dense, but
Sun seems to be suffering from jargon envy and trying
as best they can to catch up.

The only two acronyms I've heard that maybe I need are
either JRE or JDK. But on Sun's download site, I'm offered
a maze of Java EE, Java ME, Java SE, with a equally
uninformative gibberish under each of those categories.
No jre or jdk to be found anywhere in the top couple of
layers of the web site.

Are there any Java instructions out there which actually
provide a map for navigating Sun's web site to find "the"
rpm to download? (A walk-through for the install Java
game :-).