Re: Fedora7 USB GPS problem

Paul Olson wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Paul Olson wrote:
Thanks for the help so far, Mikkel!

when I launch gpsd using:

gpsd -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -n -N

Dumb question - are you starting it as root? It needs to be run as
root to open the socket, and also to access /dev/ttyUSB0. It also
has to be started after plugging in the GPS.

In any case, if you are going to keep in it the foreground, you will
probably want to add D2 to your options.

gpsd -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -n -N -D2

You could make it a daemon by starting it with:

gpsd -f /dev/ttyUSB0

This is the way I would start it before I set up auto-handling of
hotplugged GPS devices.

and then try to launch xgps in another terminal window with:

xgps localhost:2947

You should be able to just run xgps.

the xgps application shows a status of 'UNKNOWN' and a GPS Type of
'unknown'.  The other fields display 'n/a' and the status bar says 'no
data arriving'.

I would expect the type to say generic, or something like that.

At this point it is not working, but it may be the case that I have the
wrong command-line options...

Thanks again for the assistance...

Paul

You should also check to make sure you only have one copy of gpsd
running. I have to checked to see if the latest gpsd RPM starts gpsd
automatically. You should also check /var/log/messages to see if
there were problems. You should also expect a bit of delay between
plugging in the GPS and getting good data. How long the delay is
seems to be affected by the signal quality - it takes longer indoors
 the outside, and starting in a car depends on the placement of the
GPS device or antenna.

If this does not do the trick, then I guess you will have to build
the module. If you have to do that, you may want to consider
building a kernel customized for your machine at the same time.

Mikkel
Hello-
yep, am running gpsd as root; only have one instance of the gpsd program on my system, and only one instance running at a time. I have left the antenna on for a bit with no change in the level of success; even going outside did not improve my chances.

Not sure I've stated this, but running Fedora 7 64 bit on an AMD processor HP laptop:

Linux laptop 2.6.23.1-21.fc7 #1 SMP Thu Nov 1 20:28:15 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

looked in /var/log/messages, go these entries after plugging in the antenna:

Nov 19 19:48:45 laptop kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2 Nov 19 19:48:45 laptop kernel: usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice Nov 19 19:48:45 laptop kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial Nov 19 19:48:45 laptop kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic Nov 19 19:48:45 laptop kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic Nov 19 19:48:45 laptop kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core Nov 19 19:48:45 laptop kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for DeLorme Earthmate USB Nov 19 19:48:45 laptop kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for HID->COM RS232 Adapter Nov 19 19:48:45 laptop kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Nokia CA-42 V2 Adapter Nov 19 19:48:45 laptop kernel: cypress 1-2:1.0: DeLorme Earthmate USB converter detected Nov 19 19:48:45 laptop kernel: usb 1-2: DeLorme Earthmate USB converter now attached to ttyUSB0 Nov 19 19:48:45 laptop kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver cypress Nov 19 19:48:45 laptop kernel: drivers/usb/serial/cypress_m8.c: Cypress USB to Serial Driver v1.09

-----------------

doing a ls -l for /dev/ttyUSB0:

crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188,  0 2007-11-19 21:46 /dev/ttyUSB0

------------------

then did a cat of  /proc/bus/usb/devices:

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1163 ProdID=0200 Rev= 0.01
S:  Manufacturer=DeLorme Publishing
S: Product=DeLorme USB Earthmate C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=cypress
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  32 Ivl=6ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  32 Ivl=6ms

-----------------

checked for already-running gpsd and found none, so launched gpad and after a second, xgps (as a non-root user) like this:

gpsd -n -N -D 9 /dev/ttyUSB0
gpsd: launching (Version 2.34)
gpsd: listening on port gpsd
gpsd: shmat(0,0,0) succeeded
gpsd: shmat(0,0,0) succeeded
gpsd: shmat(0,0,0) succeeded
gpsd: shmat(0,0,0) succeeded
gpsd: successfully connected to the DBUS system bus
gpsd: running with effective group ID 0
gpsd: running with effective user ID 0
gpsd: opening GPS data source at '/dev/ttyUSB0'
gpsd: speed 4800, 8N1
gpsd: garmin_gps not active.
gpsd: no probe matched...
gpsd: gpsd_activate(1): opened GPS (5)
gpsd: select waits
gpsd: select waits
gpsd: select waits
gpsd: select waits
gpsd: select waits
gpsd: select waits
gpsd: select waits
gpsd: client connect on 6
gpsd: select waits
gpsd: checking client(0)
gpsd: <= client(0): w+x
gpsd: client(0): assigning channel...
gpsd: User requires 2, channel type is -1
gpsd: client(0): channel 5 already active.
gpsd: client(0): channel 5 already active.
gpsd: => client(0): GPSD,W=1,X=1195529906.435027
gpsd: select waits
gpsd: select waits
gpsd: select waits
gpsd: select waits
gpsd: select waits

---------------------

A couple of things jump out at me:

   gpsd: garmin_gps not active.
   gpsd: no probe matched...

and, after xgps is launched, the entry:

   gpsd: User requires 2, channel type is -1

The antenna continuously blinks red; I think the instructions say that the led should go to yellow or green based on the strength of the signal. Just a red blink here. I am going to try it with 'another operating system' using the app that came with the antenna. Temp test; would really like to get it working on my preferred OS.

Question: at one point I 'blacklisted' a few drivers on my system to get the wireless net to work; would I need / be able to do that in this case?

Still searching for more clues, but that is about all I have so far. Help is always appreciated.

Paul

Well, it works on WindowsXP (a VMWare image on the same laptop) with the DeLORME Street Atlas 2008 application; the led on the unit flashes green and it sees 7 satellites. It is curious that the device is 'seen' on plug in as an EarthMate LT-20, but gpsd tries to load a garmin device...