Re: Fedora7 USB GPS problem

Paul Olson wrote:
> Thanks for the help so far, Mikkel!
>
> when I launch gpsd using:
>
> gpsd -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -n -N

Dumb question - are you starting it as root? It needs to be run as
root to open the socket, and also to access /dev/ttyUSB0. It also
has to be started after plugging in the GPS.

In any case, if you are going to keep in it the foreground, you will
probably want to add D2 to your options.

gpsd -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -n -N -D2

You could make it a daemon by starting it with:

gpsd -f /dev/ttyUSB0

This is the way I would start it before I set up auto-handling of
hotplugged GPS devices.

> and then try to launch xgps in another terminal window with:
>
> xgps localhost:2947

You should be able to just run xgps.

> the xgps application shows a status of 'UNKNOWN' and a GPS Type of
> 'unknown'.  The other fields display 'n/a' and the status bar says 'no
> data arriving'.

I would expect the type to say generic, or something like that.

> At this point it is not working, but it may be the case that I have the
> wrong command-line options...
>
> Thanks again for the assistance...
>
> Paul

You should also check to make sure you only have one copy of gpsd
running. I have to checked to see if the latest gpsd RPM starts gpsd
automatically. You should also check /var/log/messages to see if
there were problems. You should also expect a bit of delay between
plugging in the GPS and getting good data. How long the delay is
seems to be affected by the signal quality - it takes longer indoors
 the outside, and starting in a car depends on the placement of the
GPS device or antenna.

If this does not do the trick, then I guess you will have to build
the module. If you have to do that, you may want to consider
building a kernel customized for your machine at the same time.

Mikkel