Re: Turbo Memory

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 11:30 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Monday November 19 2007 10:39:26 am Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > It sounds like they are using the flash memory as swap. I have
> > seen flash memory that was designed to plug into the
> > motherboard USB header that was advertised to do the same
> > thing in Vista. If this is what they are doing, then
> > implementing it in Linux should be a matter of making it a
> > swap partition/file.
> >
> > If you get the motherboard,see if it detects it as a USB
> > memory drive. If so, and if you are not dual booting, it would
> > be just a matter of creating a swap partition, (Or making the
> > entire device one big swap device.) and add a fstab entry for
> > it. You would want to give it a label, and use that in place
> > of a device name. You could also do this with a standard "pen"
> > drive. I am not sure about the life of the device, but it
> > might be fun to try it with a flash drive you don't mind
> > loosing.
>
> I was wondering about device life as well. It is a little card
> that has a connector on one end, so, easily replacable, but...
>
> I'm seriously considering that laptop as my next, which I will
> use for video editing in Windows - but, I always set up my
> laptops as dual boot, hence the curiousity
>
> --
> Claude Jones
> Brunswick, MD, USA

5 years plus

John

Useful Product Life
Product life is at least five years or 43,800 power-on hours whichever
comes earlier
under the following conditions:
• Power-on hours: 8,760 per year
• Operating Time: 100% of power-on hours
• Active/Idle duty cycle: 90% of the time
• 1 GB Module Write Rate: 12 GB per day (at 6 days a week, 52 weeks a
year for 5
years)1,2
• Environmental: typical operating conditions
Notes:
1. Write rate of 12 GB/day is multiplied by module density. Therefore a
2 GB module Write Rate is
24 GB/day and a 4 GB module Write Rate is 48 GB/day.
2. Assumes a data streaming usage model. Please contact Intel
Applications Engineering for applicability
of other use models.
Mean Time Between Failure
The Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) is calculated based on a Part
Stress Analysis.
MTBF for Intel’s Z-U130 Solid State Drives is five million hours.
Conditions for the calculation are as follows:
• Power-On hours: 8,760 per year
• Operating time: 100% of power-on hours
• Active/Idle duty cycle: 90% of the time
• Environmental Conditions: typical operating ranges