Re: Fedora 8 Wireless Networking Out-Of-The-Box

"John W. Linville" <linville@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 11:29:43PM -0500, Randy Yates wrote:
>> Does F8 support wireless networking out-of-the-box, including some sort
>> of driver scheme for specific cards/chipsets (similar to the
>> functionality provided by ndiswrapper)? If so, then how do I get my
>> NetGear WG311v3 (Marvell chipset) working without using ndiswrapper?
>> I installed F8 and it has not recognized it.
>>
>> lspci -vvv yields
>>
>> 00:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless (rev 03)
>
> There is not driver in the Fedora kernels that supports this hardware.
> I'm sorry.  You may have success with ndiswrapper, but I am not in
> a position to support that.  Others on the list will probably be
> willing to help you.

Thanks for the clarification, John. Fortunately I have been able to get
it working using ndiswrapper. This is even under the x86_64 version of
F8, which required a couple of further steps (essentially acquiring and
utilizing the 64-bit version of the Marvell drivers). I can post the
details if others would find it useful.

But once I do get this fully operational (I'm still tweaking it), could
I use NetManager to manage whether I use wlan0 or eth0?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "She's sweet on Wagner-I think she'd die for Beethoven.
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  She love the way Puccini lays down a tune, and