Re: My computer

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

Notice f8 has already got a new kernel and it was properly added to
grub. This would not happen if the above was just added to the main
grub.conf.
Why not?
I don't see anything special about your setup.
Most people just have one grub.conf and this seems to work fine.

    It works fine if you are not getting upgraded kernel's. I prefer to
use this method because it is open ended. I can add more systems easy.

I have much the same setup as you,
and I get upgraded kernels, like any other package.

I can imagine situations in which your system -
where you have one grub starting another grub on another disk -
would have advantages,
but for 99% of users the standard system, with one grub on the MBR of the first disk,
works perfectly well, no matter how many OS's you have.

This my be the case Tim. When I used the one grub with many systems there was no yum and a new kernel was a personal choice. This was back with Red Hat 5 and such. I recall doing it that way because I didn't know how to do the I am now and way back there it was all Lilo :-)

Also we should not be having this talk because the title says this is My computer and I am just showing how it is today.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User