My computer

Now that everything is right with my computer here is what my Fedora 8 system looks like. This first is the /etc/fstab file that shows how the various partitions are mounted to the main partition.

[karl@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=f8-main           /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=f8-boot           /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
LABEL=f8-swap           swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
LABEL=f7-home           /home                    ext3   defaults        1 2

Look at the last entry and see that my f7-home is being used on f8-main. Also the swap partition is mounted and also the seperate f8-boot partition.

Now look at the grub.conf and see how simple it is for this method of booting.

splashimage=(hd1,5)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.23.1-49.fc8)
       root (hd1,5)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-49.fc8 ro root=LABEL=f8-main  quiet
       initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-49.fc8.img

title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
       root (hd1,5)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=f8-main  quiet
       initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img

Notice f8 has already got a new kernel and it was properly added to grub. This would not happen if the above was just added to the main grub.conf. Also notice that the grub setup is at hd(1,5) which is /dev/sdb6 which is the boot partition for f8.

Also notice that LABEL= is used throught the system. This is good because my new computer moves the hard drives around and this causes problems if your not using labels.

Now here is the other F76 computer I have and it is set up just like the F8. The grub is simple because it does just a starting of F76. Here is fstab and it is a carbon copy of F8.

LABEL=f76-main          /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
LABEL=f76-swap           swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
LABEL=f7-home           /home                    ext3   defaults        1 2

Finally comes F7 which has been here the longest and is the main system. First see that /etc/fstab is no different than the others:
[karl@k5di ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=f7-main           /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
LABEL=f7-swap           swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
LABEL=f7-home           /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=f7-boot           /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2

Grub is a different matter. It has to let me boot any of 3 systems at will and it looks like this:
[root@k5di karl]# cat /etc/grub.conf
# grub.conf
#
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,5)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.23.1-21.fc7)
       root (hd0,5)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-21.fc7 ro root=LABEL=f7-main  quiet
       initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-21.fc7.img
title Fedora (2.6.23.1-10.fc7)
       root (hd0,5)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-10.fc7 ro root=/dev/sda5  quiet
       initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-10.fc7.img
title Fedora (2.6.22.5-76.fc7)
       root (hd0,5)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-76.fc7 ro root=/dev/sda5  quiet
       initrd /initrd-2.6.22.5-76.fc7.img
title Fedora f7-64
       root (hd1,2)
       chainloader +1
title Fedora 8
       root (hd1,5)
       chainloader +1

Notice the last two entries. They were added by hand and they let me boot F7-64 and F8. They are very simple because this grub is booting another grub.

This method seems to be the best because to add another system I just write it on the F7 grub.conf and it is done. I can add a windows without any problem.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User