Sun's JRE is broken on Fedora 8

That shouldn't surprise anyone who actually tried it -- I'm just surprised that I don't remember anyone mention this yet. It's broken due to bug 6532373 on bugs.sun.com. Despite its given status, it's not fixed. Reading through this rather dry bug entry, I take it that Sun has statically linked with one X library, and dynamically linked with another. Which, in my opinion, makes it Sun's stupid bug.

The solution is, of course, for the archives, is java-1.7.0-icedtea-devel. Personally, I like my tea hot, Earl Gray (yes, really), but this seems to work just fine. So far, my awful Java code seems to compile and run just fine, on icedtea.