Re: home network planning with all-linux questions

Tom Poe wrote:
I have multiple boxes to connect. I want one to use for VoIP/PBX, one for workstation, and one for router/gateway between LAN and DSL modem. The router/gateway has two NIC cards?, or can I use just one card with a virtual configuration? I'm also looking for a beginner's article that walks me through steps to set up network to have both VoIP/PBX and workstation have access to Internet through the router/gateway. I can find pieces, but nothing that makes it come together for me, yet. Any help appreciated.

Look at one of the pre-configured distributions like SMEserver (http://www.contribs.org) or clarkconnect (http://www.clarkconnect.com) for your gatway machine if you have to run it on a computer (or choose to because you want to have services (email/ftp/web, etc.) on it. If you don't know what you are doing you'll probably miss something in the firewall setup.

But I'd recommend looking around for a good price on a home router.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx