Re: OT: Computer's electrical outlet

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 01:23 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
>> Electrical regulations vary substantially from place to place even within the
>> same area. I have electrical inspectors (gas inspectors, fire inspectors,
>> health inspectors, boiler inspectors, inspector inspectors I suppose) go
>> through my theatre on a regular basis.  One of those guys told me that it's
>> illegal to use an extension cord in commercial building in some cities around
>> here.  Not in my city, though -- I had never heard of a restriction like that
>> before.
> That is because the wires in most extension cords are not of the right
> gauge to take the amps.

Not only that, but even if they can take the amps, they are subject
to physical damage. So even if they are rated for the power, they
may not be legal because of where they are run.

For example, cord drops are allowed to feed light bars, because they
are not subject to physical damage, (unless they get snagged on the
bar when it is raised or lowered.) But you probably can not use a
cord to feed a vending machine out in the lobby. Duration of use
also affects the rules. A cord used by a workman while doing work in
the building is almost always allowed - it just can not be a trip
hazard. (Stairways are always a challenge to work in.)

Mikkel