Re: OT: Computer's electrical outlet

On 15/11/2007, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> -ERRNomenclature Dotan.  Fuses aren't rated in watts, but amps, and the
> voltage they can successfully blow and interrupt the circuits current flow at
> in the event of a total crowbar with several thousand amps flowing until the
> fuse can interrupt it some milliseconds later.

Thanks, Gene, I meant amps. That was a slip of the keyboard.

> Secondly, that certainly sounds like a fire looking for a place to happen.

I know. I mention it each time I visit.

> Who is the legal authority responsible for that?  Here in the US we have
> pretty well enforced codes that would be grounds for legal action in the
> event some old, grandfathered construction such as you are describing should
> malfunction and start a fire.

I'll check that, alright. I _think_ it's legal as so far as I know (I
could very well be wrong) the legal code states one splitter on each
outlet, and that's what she's got. It's certainly not safe, but it may
be legal.

> That is probably a radiated noise problem, where better cables in the audio
> system might reduce it.

We're talking 20 watt cheap PC speakers that came with her cheap computer.

> If the lights dim so that you can see it whebn the
> heater comes on, that would indicate undersized wire, and when all that is
> added up, I think she should be changing her address to a more modern
> building for her own safety.

It's not that bad. Actually, I'm aware of dorm rooms with worse, and
so far as I know there is are illumination problems. They are all
phlorecent lights, however.

> >Thanks in advance.
>
> A dose of luck would be handy too.

Most certainly.