Re: [F8] Can not configure sound AC97

Vnpenguin wrote:
On 11/14/07, stan <goedigi89__e@xxxxxxx> wrote:
This is probably a pulseaudio issue.  To check, do a
yum remove pulseaudio-alsa
If sound works like it did in Fedora 7 after this, then there is a
misconfiguration in the pulseaudio - ALSA link.

I don't need any of the functionality that pulseaudio provides so
I turned it off in the configuration file (go to www.pulseaudio.org for
documentation as there doesn't appear to be any packaged with Fedora).

Hope that helps.

Hi,
Now I can play music with audacious, but only under root :(
With normal user I can not.

Try some commands :

$ alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

$ alsacard
Open error: No such device

Any idea ?

Thanks,

You can try running aplay -lLv to see if there is a default device.
If there is, something is blocking your access to it. It might be permissions as Frank says, or it could be that something else is grabbing the soundcard, or it could be that your default device which is usually hw:0,0 is actually not there if you have more than one sound card. Check /etc/modprobe.conf to see how your cards are organized.

The fact that you can play sound at all means that your card is recognized and the proper driver is loaded. It is just a matter of configuration now.