Re: rpm spec file

Frank Cox wrote:
I'm back with another question about rpm spec files.  This time I'm trying to
compile Vice (the Commodore 64 emulator).  Vice actually comes with a vice.spec
file in the tarball, but it's out-of-date and doesn't really work any more.

The point that I'm stuck at is this:  I have managed to get the actual
compiling process to work but when I get to the "install" portion I get the
following errors:

Making install in CBM-II
make[3]: Entering directory
`/home/frankcox/rpmbuild/BUILD/vice-1.22/data/CBM-II' make[4]: Entering
directory `/home/frankcox/rpmbuild/BUILD/vice-1.22/data/CBM-II' make[4]:
Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'. test -z "/usr/local/lib/vice/CBM-II"
|| mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/lib/vice/CBM-II" mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/lib/vice': Permission denied
make[4]: *** [install-cbm2DATA] Error 1

That's one example.  There are many other "Permission denied" errors, which is
not surprising because I'm not compiling this as root.

And this is a perfect example of why you should not build as root.

I have put my very slightly modified vice.spec file that I'm trying to make
work at the end of this message.  I tried modifying the %define prefix line
(third line from the top) in various ways but nothing changed; I still got the
same errors.

It's trying to update the build system. this is one common beginner mistake, another is to package binaries from the build host that it didn't build.

There are RPM build variables to help avoid these mistakes. I don't remember their names, but a shell "set" statement in the %pre and/or %build and/or %install stages will show you what's what.

For "how to build an rpm" question, I generally refer people to the fetchmail src rpm. It's complicated enough to cover common requirements while not being so complex as to serious confuse people.

It's quite likely in this case that you need to make some serious changes to how the Makefile works.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait