Re: fedora 8 boot up time

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:04:29 +0530
Rogue <roguexz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hmmm... that is interesting. So what are the other services that are
> turned on by default?

chkconfig --list | fgrep ':on'

will show all the services that are on at at least one run level.

I know I saw pcscd and openct on by default (something about smart
cards - I don't have a smart card read, I turn them off). (A really
good idea in Fedora 8 since pcscd seems to do nothing but infinite
loop).

I also get bluetooh services on by default (no bluetooth hardware
either), isdn service on by default (no isdn adapter :-), etc.

I have no raid disks, but I get mdmonitor on be default.

I have selinux disabled, but setroubleshoot and restorecond are
on anyway (and I forgot mcstrans).

I use cups rather than the HP printing system but hplip is
on by default.

I've read the description of the rpm that avahi-daemon comes with
and I still can't figure out what the heck it does, but I left
in on in case it was important :-).

I disable the firewall, but it still starts ip6tables and iptables.

I don't do any scsi device sharing, but it still starts
iscsi and iscsid.

I run mail via POP3 to my ISP, I don't need sendmail running.

I poll for updates when I'm ready, I don't need yum-updatesd running.

That's the ones I can remember changing, there were probably others.