Re: OT: server equipment to choose

Strong wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 07:21:50 +0900 John Summerfield
<debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please share Your opinions on this specifications - whether it is
suitable for such a task?
Whether it's suitable depends on what the users are doing as much as
how many there are. if you want help sizing, perhaps you should ask
on the appropriate RHEL list and/or CentOS.

Ok, I will ask on CentOS list, but for now:

1. Can I use cluster software if choose RHEL or CentOS?

2. Well. The users have to download/upload text/graphics info. They
will be in number 1,000 at once.

Static content? Your bottleneck will be I/O and/or network bandwidth - depends on file sizes

Dynamically-generated images? Varies from "It's a doddle" to "You wish."

Nobody, nobody can answer that without good numbers about the volume of requests, the kinds of requests, the _peak_ load (and what happens if you're over-stressed).

Probably nobody here can answer the question with those numbers, certainly on this list. It's a big-bill size question.

You may be best off asking a hosting company. They ought go through the sizing and give you advice. Using shared resources of a hosting company can also save you hassles at peak seasons (many people find things get busy at Christmas) and accommodate rapid expansion.

Based on what little you've said, you might be best off on a shared zSeries; their CPUs aren't much but they do I/O at a fairly serious 4 Gbytes/sec or so.

Thanks for Your answers.

--

Cheers
John