Re: dosemu 64-bit compile? - SOLVED

Frank Cox wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 00:42:37 +0530
Saurabh Bathe <sbathe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

AFAIK, edit the makefile for  dosemu.

Thank you very much for your answer.

After doing the " rpmbuild --rebuild dosemu-1.4.0-1.src.rpm" step that errored
out as described in my previous message, I had a file named dosemu-1.4.0.tgz in
my ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES directory.  I un-tarred that and after poking around a
bit I found a file named compiletime-settings.  I changed the line in that file
that said  libdir ${prefix}/lib to  libdir ${prefix}/lib64

I then recreated dosemu-1.4.0.tgz in the ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES directory so it now
contained the modified compiletime-settings file.  After that, doing a "rpm
-bb ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/dosemu.spec" created the file that I wanted,
dosemu-1.4.0-1.x86_64.rpm.  I installed it and it appears to work as expected.

PERFORMANCE
This 64-bit DOSEMU compile runs substantially slower than the 32-bit compile
that I used previously on this computer.  I have several rather large
PowerBASIC/DOS programs that are, in fact, the main reason why I use DOSEMU.

Up until a couple of days ago, I had Fedora 7/i386 on this computer.  I just
happen to still have the numbers when compiling one of those programs with
PowerBASIC/DOS under DOSEMU:

With F7/i386:  1686600 lines per minute -- total time to compile the program:
0.2 seconds

With F8/x86_64:  230400 lines per minute -- total time to compile the program:
1.6 seconds.

The F8/x86_64 DOSEMU is running approximately 13 times slower.

I understand that DOSEMU has to do more work to run on a x86_64 architecture.
However, I'm wondering if there is something that I missed or something that I
should do (compiler options?) that would give it a bit more oomph.

Is freedos or drdos in xen or kvm an option? I expect they should work.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait