Re: FC8 how to get static IP working

Frank Cox wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:59:55 -0800
Mike Wright <mike.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Based on that I'd have to say BOOTPROTO=none is correct.

I did a scratch install of F8 on this computer and told it to use a static
address when it asked during the installation.

I just checked and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 contains
"BOOTPROTO=static".

I didn't put that there myself so the installer must have done it that way.

Hi Frank,

Please prove me wrong but I know of no protocol known as static.

In my original post I did say I saw it misused frequently and you have
just pointed out one more place.

The only reason that the network scripts are NOT breaking is because
they test for the presence of "dhcp" and "bootp" and if those are not
found "none" is assumed.

:m)