SELinux mystery

Last week, I was doing an X server update and I wanted to test the config. I wanted to run X as a normal user, so (logged in as root) I did this:

# (su - joe -c "xinit -- :1 >x.log.my 2>&1")

Some time after that (I think it was the next day, after a reboot), I got a flag from setroubleshoot:

Nov 6 21:25:09 duros setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing the /sbin/modprobe from using potentially mislabeled files (/home/joe/x.log.my). For complete SELinux messages. run ...

At the time, I just removed the log file (I didn't need it anymore) and forgot about it, but it kept bugging me:

Why was this flagged as an access problem? The file was not owned by root--it was created under a normal user's environment.

What was modprobe doing (or trying to do) with a file in a user's home directory?

Hmmm...

<Joe