Re: f8: NetworkManager + runlevel 3 problem

No bloody attribution provided:
>>> I wish NM would stick to WiFi, where it could conceivably
>>> serve as a replacement for wireless-tools.

Tim:
>> One of the jobs it manages, for some users, is when they go from a wired
>> network to a wireless one.  Doing that automatically, and painlessly, is
>> needed for some people.  If it *only* dealt with wireless they'd need
>> yet another tool to manage this for them.

Timothy Murphy:
> But I have absolutely no problem going from ethernet to WiFi, or vice
> versa.
> They use different interfaces, with different MACs,
> and do not appear to me to intersect in any way at all.

That's just *YOUR* usage experience.  Likewise for other problems you've
mentioned.

> In my view, if a WiFi device works with NM
> then it should work with system-config-network, and vice versa.
> If it doesn't then there is a fault with one or the other service,
> not with the WiFi device.

system-config-network -> network CONFIGURATION
network-manager -> picking the interface to USE
That's two VERY different tasks.

With network manager, I can go from wired to wireless, and it manages
the changeover.  I can plug and unplug the wired ethernet and it manages
to bring the interface up and down automatically, whether or not
wireless is involved.

Without it, I have to manually bring interfaces up and down as needed.
If I plug my ethernet cable into a network, and do nothing, nothing
happens.  It doesn't ask the DHCP server for an address, it doesn't get
given information needed to join the network.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.