Re: Live Spins

lostson wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 01:50:04 -0600 Frank Cox
> <theatre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:34:57 -0800 R A Jon Hamelin
>> <jon_hamelin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I have had bad experiences with torrents and will not use
>>> them again.
>> What's wrong with the torrents?  I downloaded F8 that way the
>> other day at a very healthy pace.
>>
> I think some people get bad iso files after a torrent download, I
> made 2 coasters earlier this week. I started torrent again and
> the new one burnt and ran correctly. I think sometimes you get a
> corrupted download for some reason.

You should not get a corrupted download because of the extra checks
that are made with torrent downloads. But you should always verify
the download anyway. One thing that you have to be careful of is
that even though the size of the file may indicate it is all there,
if the torrent download has not finished, the file is NOT all there.
There can be holes in the file that will be filled in as the
download progresses. It is different then a standard download in
that the pieces can come in any order, instead of starting from the
beginning, and progressing to the end. So while you can sometimes
get away with using a partial download with a normal download, you
can not get away with it on a torrent download.

One other advantage of using a torrent is that when you restart it,
it does an integrity check and will replace any partial, or
corrupted sections. Not that you should get any in the first place...

Mikkel