Re: The puplet that devoured pirut? (... yum) Bug or feature?

On Nov 11, 2007 2:28 AM, Antonio <antonio.montagnani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2007/11/11, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Joe Christy wrote:
> > > <whining>
> > > I use KDE (I know, if I want Fedora to work, I must assimilate to
> > > Gnome), and since I installed (a minimal, since anaconda barfed on
> > > libxslt when I tried to install using the the updates repo as an
> > > additional repo) F8, I have not been able to use either Pirut or yum to
> > > perform an update.
> > > </whining>
> > >
> > > Whenever I try to do an update with either of the applications mentioned
> > > above, I get:
> > >
> > > [root@moby Recover]# yum update
> > > Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 4642.
> > > Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
> > > Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
> > > Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
> > > Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
> > > Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
> > > Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
> > > Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
> > >

> > > Exiting on user cancel.
> > > [root@moby Recover]# ps wwuax | egrep "yum|pup|pirut"
> > > root      2774  0.0  0.1 247672 12688 ?        SN   18:06   0:05
> > > /usr/bin/python -tt /usr/sbin/yum-updatesd
> > > root      3275  0.0  0.2 248520 16892 ?        S    18:07   0:00
> > > /usr/bin/python -tt /usr/bin/puplet
> > > root      4642  0.4  1.4 346052 122312 ?       SN   20:06   0:04
> > > /usr/bin/python -tt /usr/libexec/yum-updatesd-helper --check --dbus
> > > root      4713  0.0  0.0  82240   820 pts/3    S+   20:25   0:00 egrep
> > > yum|pup|pirut
> > >
> > > and when I run pirut, it pops up a warning panel saying:
> > >
> > > Another application is currently running which is accessing software
> > > information.
> > >
> > > What is puplet supposed to show me? Is /usr/libexec/yum-updatesd-helper
> > > supposed to do anything perceptible? Does puplet do anything under Gnome?
> > >
> > > Is this a bug or a feature?
> > >
> > > I know yum-updatesd was a no-op under F7. Is it the same under F8?
> > >
> > >       Joe
> > >

> > I had the error also. I stopped the deamon via the GUI services program
> > and still had the error. I eventually went to a terminal su - to root
> > and ran yum -y update. It informed me of a lock file so I removed the
> > lock file and afterward ran yum -y update successfully to update the
> > system. It is either pup or pirut which fails to get rid of the lock
> > file after exiting, I assume pirut (Add/remove programs) is not removing
> > the lock file for yum on exit.
> >
> > --
> > "When people are least sure, they are often most dogmatic."
> > -- John Kenneth Galbraith
> >
> > --
> >

> i have the same error (using yumex): where is the lock file???

Take a look in the script, /etc/init.d/yum-updatesd. It is
/var/lock/subsys/yum-updatesd

> This bug is preventing to make any update (adding nvidia, etc, etc): I
> assume that everybody is impacting on it....

Stopping the service at runlevel 5 did nothing to free the lock. For
some reason I could not kill the running process using top.  In the
end I disabled the service for all runlevels ( 3,4 & 5) and rebooted.