Re: install with no physical access?

Tom Horsley wrote:
I've found it very convenient to install fedora on systems which have an
existing grub already installed by copying the vmlinuz and initrd.img
files to /boot and making an "Install Fedora" grub entry pointing at them
I guess you mean the /images/pxeboot vm.. and in..
Set the grub default to be the install kernel.

(I can then tell the installer to do a hard disk install pointing to
the DVD iso image on a local disk).
Make sure the disk is not a lvm volume {and maybe no mdraid either}. Write down the partition name {/dev/sda5} and the path within that folder - easiest is for the iso to be at the root of the chosen partition's filesystem. Actually, you want info on all the existing partitions, so you can decide what goes where.

Now I want to go one step farther - do the same thing over a VNC connection
when I have absolutely no physical access to the machine I want to install on.
In grub, on the kernel line append vnc.

I see some stuff in the installation guide about running installer over VNC,
but it is talking about typing things in to the console.
Well you can pass the parameter as shown above; this gets passed to the installer, along with any other values.

The easiest way for me to test was with vmware server - although the other virtualization technologies should provide the same easy test capability.

> Is it possible to
put enough kernel options in the grub entry to define the network and
tell it to speak VNC? (And if so, what the heck happens after it does the
first boot?
Access via ssh via root and the pass chosen in the installer.

Is it still talking VNC after that?).
No.

As Tom Spec mentions, the kickstart is a nice repeatable way of doing it.

DaveT.