Re: pdftk f8

On 11/11/2007, Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Frank Cox wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know why pdftk seems to have disappeared  from the Fedora 8
> > repositories?
>
> I was removed from the distro.

yum install rex-dieter
No package rex-dieter available.

I guess you're right.

> The comment in cvs, pdftk/devel/dead.package contains:
>
> The package pdftk was going to EOL, becouse it contains a modified
> copy of iText. IText contains several licensing issue which caused,
> that this package was going into EOL

Hm, that message badly represents the actual situation. The situation
is that parts of itext are under a license which contains:

"You acknowledge that Software is not designed,licensed or intended for use in
the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility."

Some understood that to mean "you CANNOT use this software at a
nuclear facility", which is, well, a point of contention.

Nonetheless, to say that pdftk is EOL is weird - pdftk is actively
developed upstream, it's not EOL'd there. I'll re-raise this and try
to get pdftk unorphaned.