Re: Fedora lifetime and stability

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> Note: I don't see Fedora and Ubuntu competing for the same users, so
>> there's not much "win" there, if I didn't run Fedora I'd probably go to
>> CentOS for most things, certainly for servers.
>
> Well, they compete for me.
> I used Kubuntu for a time, and it seemed to me
> more or less identical to Fedora KDE.
> I stuck to Fedora because I had it on other machines,
> and saw no reason to change.
>
> What is the difference between Fedora and Ubuntu users, briefly?

Maybe it is their expectations? Fedora users will to accept that
things are going to break from time to time, and that that is the
price they pay for trying out new things. With Ubuntu, you have the
right to expect things to work, and that things will stay stable for
longer periods. I think it is less a matter of competing then it is
of attracting a different audience. There is some overlap, but not
all that much.

The way I look at it is the way I look at books. Are books competing
for readers? I happen to like Science Fiction. A have a friend that
likes mysteries. I have another that likes romance novels. I also
have friends that like action/adventure. Naturally, there is some
overlap between them. but should a SciFi author strive to write more
like a mystery writer? Should they both write romance novels because
they sell more? Because I like to read some action/adventure
stories, does that mean that the SciFi and the Action/Adventure
authors are competing with each other?

Mikkel