Re: Gripes, gripes: F8 Live, F8 DVD, i6000

Rahul Sundaram writes:

Alexander Volovics wrote:
Installing F8 on a Dell i6000 laptop:

1) Using the DVD:

   The install comes no further than 'running /sbin/loader'
   and then stops. Nothing happens anymore.
   This is a curious regression from F8 test 3 where I had no
   such problems!

   Maybe this can be solved using one or other kernel parameter
   but then you have to go and search the internet for a list
   or have the kernel documentation at hand.
   A complete list with comments should be available in a README
   included on the DVD and a reference included in the Release Notes.

See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F8Common and

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems

There's nothing on either page that discusses hanging at "running /sbin/loader" phase. "CD/DVD Install hang" refers an issue with a completely nonfunctioning keyboard at the install DVD's boot menu.

My keyboard works just fine when I boot the i386 install DVD, and I can select either text or gui boot, but in both cases the boot hangs right after "running /sbin/loader". Anaconda never starts.

Another post from yesterday references this link: http://smolts.org/wiki/System/Dell_Inc./Latitude_D620

This one seems to talk about booting issues /after/ installation. Yet, if I manually add these options when I boot the F8 i386 DVD installer, I make it past /sbin/loader. The existing machine runs the current F7 2.6.23 kernel just fine, which is also presumably a tickless kernel.

Haven't actually tried installing F8 yet, until it's clear what the beef is here.