Re: creating custom initrd

Mike Wright wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
Rick Stevens wrote:

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 15:14 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 17:33 +0100, info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

Is it possible to define which modules mkinitrd should add to the initrd?

I have a custom initrd, but after every kernel upgrade, it recreates the
initrd. When it does this,
I loose the extra module I need, so I end up recreating the initrd
myself again.

I know in Ubuntu and Debian there is a file somewhere in /etc/sysconfig
that defines the modules
to use when building the initrd. But I have yet to find this file in Fedora.

The --with option in mkinitrd

mkinitrd will load any modules required to mount the root filesystem
(e.g. SCSI, ext3, network [if / is on an NFS volume], etc.)  If you need
additional modules, then "--with=name-of-module" is required.

Some one has to remember what the extra modules are? It's difficult enough for me, let alone any colleagues who might share the responsibility, or my successor.

The Nameless One's point (in part) is that in Debian. one adds those names to a configuration file, and then
1. It's documented for said colleagues and successors
2. It happens every time in the future, nobody has to remember it.

I think you can do something by adding a file to /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd/ where you set MODULES to the list of modules to add,

Good catch, John!

Shucks, <blush>

I only did what I always do, check whether it's a script, and if it is, read it. It's a good way to learn shell tricks, and sometimes to solve the problem at hand.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait