Re: long wait...

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Frank Cox wrote:

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 21:17:03 +0100
Marcel Janssen <korgull@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Giving up on this for the time being (until there's a fixed installer I
guess).

I'm thinking that now might be a good time to switch this computer over to
64-bit F8.  I'm not really clear on what benefits one gets by doing so simply
because I've never set up a computer that way before.

According to a friend who has run tests, it will run about twice as fast in 64-bit mode.

I run 64-bit on my mail server and laptop. The mail server has no problems with 64-bit code. (Other than absurdly low load levels, as if that is a problem...)

I do not have F8 on my laptop yet. With F7 I have issues with suspend. Flash is a bit of an issue. (Adobe still does not have a 64-bit Flash plug-in, but there are open source solutions that work on about 85% of sites.) Some other minor issues, all web plug in related. Other than that, it works great.

--
Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense.