Re: upgrading from F7 to F8

ke, 2007-11-07 kello 23:17:05 -0600, Jimmy Bradley kirjoitti:

>       Does anyone know if it will be possible to upgrade from F7 to F8,
> rather than do a whole new install?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim

It may be. However, in trying to upgrade my x86_64 system from F7 to F8
the installer got stuck in "Checking dependencies in packages selected
to be installed" when it was approx. 25% through checking. I tried also
text installation and even us-en installation instead of localized
version (fi) to no avail. It got stuck in the same place every time.

FWIW, I've been able to upgrade this same system every step of the way,
FC4->FC5->FC6->F7, but not F7->F8. It may have something to do with the
fact that I've now got more third-party (i.e. Livna) packages installed
but I'm sure I had some of them even in earlier upgrades - with no
apparent harm.
Mine is a dual-boot system with Windows XP and Fedora -and this has been
so ever since FC4. Fedora has a separate /boot partition
(LABEL="/boot"). The rest (swap & /) are contained in LVM.

I'd appreciate any pointers in trying to find out why the installer gets
stuck. If all else fails, I might consider burning some 10 GB of /home
to DVDs and do a clean install.

Regards

Antti