Re: [OT] Digital camara

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 08:46 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> There's a reason professional portrait (and I include wedding)
> photographers use medium format cameras such as Hasselblads. They do
> that size easily.

Not to mention having decent accessories (lots of them, and robust ones,
too).

I still have a Kodak Brownie camera that used 127 film.  Not a large
format, but a medium format.  Despite its rudimentary optics, it could
produce reasonably good pictures because it used a very large
negative.

'twas also the ultimate in point and shoot for a rank amateur.  There
was no auto focus to get things wrong, it had fixed focus, so focussing
was instantaneous.  ;-)  It was always, almost, in focus.  Likewise,
there was no iris or shutter speed to work out.  In daylight, it just
worked.  Press button, wind on film, rinse lather repeat...  No
batteries, no adjustments, nothing to go wrong.  ;-)  A good camera to
learn on, all you had to worry about was framing, and having something
worth taking a photo of.

My 35 mm SLR, just a middle priced enthusiasts semi-automatic Chinon
camera, does very nice A4 enlargements, can do reasonably good A3, and
acceptable A2 (for viewing from a distance).  The optics aren't pro, so
things suffer around those points.  Cinemas may still use 35 mm to
project onto huge screens, but you view them from far away, they use
much better optics, and the randomness of film grain across moving
frames gives you the impression of much higher resolution than a single
frame can produce.

My 4 megapixel Canon compact digital camera just about manages a
reasonably good A4 enlargement.  I'm not game to try anything bigger.
It's convenience factors almost outweigh my preferences for my Chinon.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.