Re: Network install FC7

Kam Leo wrote:
On 11/1/07, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I want to install FC8 on a machine without a DVD, but with a CD drive. I
decided the easy way is to do a network install, and put the DVD image
on my file server. However, after trying the install command on both the
rescue CD and the boot.iso from the DVD, and exporting the data by both
NFS and HTTP, I'm beginning to think that there is a serious omission in
the "quick and easy" guide. The install pulls the stage2 file off the
server and then says it can't pull the file off the server and invites
reconfiguration. I can most definitely pull the file with correct md5sum
using either protocol.

Looking at te HTTP access in the httpd/access log, it looks af if the
install looks first in the "disk1" directory, then directly in images,
but it finds the file just fine.

One possible problem, this is an Athlon processor (K7) and I can find
distributions for i686, x86_64, and pcc, but none for i386 (the RPMs say
i686 in the 386 directory), or for Athlon. Because FC8 works, I assume
this is configuration rather than needing a different build.

Is there a simple trick or a pointer to valid instructions? I can
install FC8 on the machine just fine, but pulling a pre-release
distribution over a slow (4Mbit) network is not what I want other than a
proof of concept.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc

For NFS install you only need to provide access to the iso file. The
information here,  http://fedoranews.org/dowen/nfsinstall , is a
little dated but the concepts should hold.

I had a discussion about the op's question on the Scientific Linux list. My conclusion is that http (and ftp) installs fro dvd images are broken with the advent of yum in anaconda, in FC6, RHEL5 and later.

The problem's with the "media" URLs in the repo, they look to me an over complicated way of ensuring the correct CD is mounted.

The workaround's to unpack (or mount -o loop) the ISO, and create a repo a directory back, in rw space. I've not tried it, but I think it would work.

I got fairly disgusted about then, esp as the README that used to describe the procedure to convert CD images to network install image went missing.

I like http installs, they're more flexible than nfs and I get nice logs recording what files were used. And, if I wish, I can simply configure my (virtual) Apache server to proxy someone's mirror and install from there, caching the bits I actually want.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait