Re: send e-mail without use sendmail

John Summerfield wrote:

I'm looking for a line command utility (MTA) which send an email direct
to a SMTP external server.

if I use: "echo bye|mutt -s bye [email protected]"

the message is send to local sendmail, then sendmail send it to mx
record dom.it, but dom.it refuse me for security and anti-spam reason.

I'm looking for a command which send my message direct to my provider,
like evolution or Thunderbird do.
You don't need to stop using sendmail for that, just configure it to
do what you want. Edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc where it says:
dnl # Uncomment and edit the following line if your outgoing mail
needs to
dnl # be sent out through an external mail server:
dnl #
dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.your.provider')dnl
This is the "correct" way to do it.

In a later email, Les, you recommend masquerading. This will probably work for Dario, but it has the disadvantage that it only works if there's a one-one mapping: if [email protected] is the same as [email protected], my Internat Access Provider.
In my case that's not so, and if [email protected] does exist, then
it's certainly not me.
Masquarading is mostly to give a legal qualified host name for machines
that don't have one. If you need some other From: address, put it on
the message yourself or configure your mail client to do it instead of
taking the default.
--
  Les Mikesell