Re: Fedora May Be Killing Your Laptop's Hard Drive?

Alan Cox wrote:
The head's cycled a around 500 times since three hours and forty-five
minutes ago, and it's been running off mains power (so not battery save
features should have been doing their thing).

If you want to change your drive behaviour from the vendor supplied
defaults see "man hdparm"

Seems to me information on what values are appropriate, and whether there are real problems are sorely missing.

I can't tell whether there is anyone here competant to say there is a problem, it seems people think there might be, but we're all ignorant in this respect.

Is there a place to get good information? Has anyone tried any of the relevant disk drive vendors, or the smartmontools people?

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait