Re: all x86_64 mirrors corrupted tonight?

ke, 2007-10-31 kello 02:06:40 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan kirjoitti:

> On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 20:09 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > I tried running an update, and I get a large number
> > of these, followed by a message that there are no
> > more mirrors to try:
> >
> > 20:07:54 : Trying other mirror.
> > 20:07:57 : Failure getting http://mirror.stanford.edu/fedora/linux/updates/7/x86_64/repodata/comps-f7.xml:
> > 20:07:57 :   --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
> >
> > The i386 mirrors don't seem to have the same problem.
>
> I see had exactly the same problem for the last two days, running yumex.
> The x86_64 repos appear to be corrupt while the i386 repos are OK.
>
> Could this have something to do with FC8, which should be out in a week
> or so?

Googling a bit reveals that the same problem with comps-f7.xml has been
in existence at least since early June, ie. since the release of F7. See
for example: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=168232

It looks like update metadata is contained in comps-f7.xml - and GUI
updaters such as pup and yumex use this file to fetch information on
packages to be updated.
If comps-f7.xml is corrupted (like in this case for x86_64 systems), pup
and yumex visit every available mirror only to receive the same corrupt
file from each and everyone of them - which in each case results in
"incorrect checksum" error message. No wonder it takes ages to load the
same metadata file over and over again from various mirrors and find all
of them defective.

Although updates with pup have been unsuccessful in this way a couple of
times before, I haven't posted about it because yum has worked always
when pup has failed. From this I conclude that yum doesn't use
comps-f7.xml for anything. I can't help wondering, however, why should
pup or yumex use .xml files? Isn't it a M$ standard - and controversial
at that?

Regards

Antti