Re: all x86_64 mirrors corrupted tonight?

ti, 2007-10-30 kello 20:09:07 -0400, Tom Horsley kirjoitti:

> I tried running an update, and I get a large number
> of these, followed by a message that there are no
> more mirrors to try:
>
> 20:07:54 : Trying other mirror.
> 20:07:57 : Failure getting http://mirror.stanford.edu/fedora/linux/updates/7/x86_64/repodata/comps-f7.xml:
> 20:07:57 :   --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
>
> The i386 mirrors don't seem to have the same problem.

Hi Tom,

you don't mention *how* (using yum, pup etc) you tried to update but
I'll confirm that my x86_64 system has had trouble updating for a day or
so, too.
I usually update when pup applet tells me there are updates available.
Occasionally, however, something goes amiss and pup seems to spend
forever fetching information on packages to be updated. It may load
300-500M of metadata(?) -- and at the end of it inform me that update
cannot be done for one reason or another. This time the problem was:

"failure: repodata/comps-f7.xml from updates:
[Errno 256] No more mirrors to try"

IMHO, it is extremely annoying to wait for an hour or more - only to be
told that update fails. Now I know that if the names of the packages to
be updates don't appear in a couple of minutes, the update *will* fail.

My solution is to to go CLI and 'yum update'. It worked this time, too.

Regards,

Antti