Re: ever migrate from Fedora to Scientific Linux or CentOS?

On 10/31/07, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We have lots of Fedora systems and it is turning out to be too much
> work to keep them up to date.  I have to rebuild a lot or RPMs when
> the kernel is updates, and that is getting to be a hassle.  If I could
> do a major system update every 18 months or 2 years, it would be fine.
>  The unexpected bug introduced by frequent updates (much less
> re-installs)  have lost some of their charm for us.

Yah, most Fedora users will warn you against such if you ask
preinstall. If you're asking whether or not you can simply upgrade
from Fedora to CentoOS, I'm pretty sure the answer  is no. You can
migrate by doing fresh installs, ie. redeploying the system however.

Do tell, what packages of yours require recompilation every kernel
upgrade? That seems a bigger issue.

Also, why aren't you using (what I believe to be) freely available
Fedora build systems to automate the process - regardless of your
final choice of distro.

Good luck.