Re: F8 ETA?

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: F8 ETA?
From: Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>
To: For users of Fedora <[email protected]>
Date: 10/30/2007 03:16 PM
> <snip>
I wish fedoralegacy hadn't gone from support forever to no support, two years is often enough to update production machines! I really like FC better than Ubuntu, and RHEL/WhiteBox/CentOS are just a little too slow to offer features.
Agreed, many production servers have a long upgrade requirement. Lets
define "production server" though. In particular, it is a *server* not a
*workstation*. It chugs along every day doing what it did the day
before. Not much excitement or need for new features for the poor lonely
server. It is happiest in a stable, working, static environment.
Workstations, on the other hand, have people attached to them. The
wetware component is impatient, inquisitive and exploratory. The old
gets old fast and the new is generally a welcome relief from what was
yesterday's new toy. We do, however hate broken toys.
The human part of a workstation wants applications that work and show
regular and perceivable improvements. Servers don't care if they are
working better or not. They just work.
This separation of function is why there are more than one choice in
distributions. If you are running a production server on Fedora you are
simply using the wrong tool. The personality of Fedora more closely
reflects the workstation mentality. It can be a proving ground for new
technologies in a server environment but, IMHO, should *never* be used
in a production environment.
So, the statement of support for *production machines* used in the same
breath as *Fedora* is simply a misuse of technology.