Re: Help with Kickstart on FC7

Phil Meyer wrote:
Gary Schlachter wrote:
Things have changed but not a great deal of improvement. It is loading the vmlinuz and initrd.img from 2.6.22.9-91 kernel. It progresses further during the initrd but then panics with:

Trying to resume from /dev/Volgroup00/LogVol01
No suspend signature on swap, not resuming

Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

This this has two SATA drives using hardware RAID1.

That is not the install image, but an active kernel image. Is that what you intended?

Are you trying to install, or PXE boot into a running system?

If this is running on a hard drive, then Grub is confused here.

Boot into rescue mode and run grub-install.

Assuming that you are installing grub into the primary drive MBR:

# grub-install --no-floppy --recheck /dev/sda

# exit

Try the boot again.

Good Luck!
Maybe I need to back up a little to explain my process. I am using a combination of DHCP/PXE/TFTP and kickstart to load systems with the same custom Fedora image. I have a single server which provides all of the necessary information. So the boot flows as follows:

Target is configured to boot via DHCP. DHCP server will be called server1. DHCP on server1 is configured for a range of IP addresses and the "filename" option pointing to my /tftpboot/kickstart directory PXE on server1 is configured on server1 to present a list of boot options. One of which is FC7. That PXE configuration looks like

          [X86PC/UNDI/fedora-core-7-install/ImageFile_Name]
          0
          2
          linux
In the above directory, there is linux.0, linux-1->vmlinuz, and linux.2->initrd.img

In the /tftpboot/kickstart directory, there are links like 10.254.13.112-kickstart->ks.cfg

So when the FC7 option is chosen from PXE, I specify a kernel of "ks" for kickstart. From there, linux.1 (vmlinuz) and linux.2(initrd.img) are downloaded and then the ks.cfg is processed to load the custom configuration/RPMS. My problem occurs when linux.2 (initrd.img) is loaded, it fails with the previously indicated messages. I thought I had a bad initrd.img for my system. My other thoughts involved incorrect RAMDISK size. I do not believe I am getting to my ks.cfg although it is difficult to tell.

Gary