Re: F8 ETA?

Tim Alberts <talberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> The "I'll wait until other people iron out the bugs" is a little
>> selfish, in my opinion.
>>
>> Jonathan.
>>

> It's certainly not selfish if you want run production servers...it
> just prompts the question (yet again), 'is Fedora production quality
> or just beta test for Redhat?'
>

> ..hoping not to start a war, just want a straight answer.

If you are running servers upon which you or your company depend for
reliability and revenue AND where you need a multi-year support
window, then run either RHEL or CENTOS. The former comes with paid
support, the latter is a "community" based version of RHEL. Both are
designed for high availability and longer term stability. Something
which most SysAdmins demand.

My company runs RHEL on all of our servers and several of us run
Fedora on the desktop.

Fedora is fine and I have been running it and it's RH predcessors for
a number of years. However, given the philosophy behind Fedora (much
like Ubuntu), you must be willing to ride the fast train and put up with
the periodic toe-stubbing that will inevitably take place using a
leading edge, rapid development approach.

If you are not willing or don't have the time to upgrade to each new
version or perhaps every other version, then Fedora is not for you.

Fedora Legacy was a noble attempt, but in the end, a waste of
resources (both human and financial) that could have been put to
better use on Fedora itself.

The bottom line is determine your functional requirements and find a
distribution that meets them as best as possible. That may or may not
be Fedora.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz